Monday, June 2, 2014

Victorious Every Day! Back to the "Future" is next year!




I was at the corporate office of one of my clients recently and we were all debating what year it was when Michael J. Fox traveled to the future. Of course being an avid time travel movie lover,I was correct in telling everyone that it was the year 2015 that Fox's character "Marty" traveled to from 1985. In the first film he travels back to 1955 but in the sequel he had to travel into the future to catch Biff in 2015! I remember when I watched that movie in 1985 as a 16-year-old sophomore at Overbrook High School in Philly, that I thought that 2015 would certainly have the flying cars that the movie promised us all! It seemed that 2015 was an unreachable date, 30 years ago but now it is just one year away!

I realize now why if its a time travel movie, you can count on me being there. First of all, I love the concept of being able to see the past or to go into the future. We all love the paradox of time travel stories which of course also makes it impossible. For example when Christopher Reeves character went back in time in the movie Somewhere in Time, he took a watch and gave it to Jane Seymour's character, who had actually given it to him in the future. The question always is raised "Where did the watch come from?" If he left it in the past and she gave it to him in the future, whose watch was it?
Similarly, in the movie The Butterfly Effect,another great time travel story, the smallest detail altered in the past drastically changes the future and so those who travel inevitably end up regretting their trip in time. No matter how many times they try to get it right, being human, something in the future always goes wrong! The so called 'butterfly effect' is a reference to the theory that the flutter of a butterfly's wings 2000 miles away, can affect weather patterns on the other side of the country ( how somebody would prove that is another question). Nevertheless, we all know from the evidence of our life, that small details of our life drama have caused great changes in our present and thus our future. That is the second and secret reason that I love time travel stories. They give me a moment to escape reality and fantasize that I could go back and change some of the many mistakes of my life. Like I imagine it is for all of us, there are some years that I would like to get a do-over in life! Wouldn't you? I'd go back to 1996 but then so many wonderful blessings (at least two I know by name) might nit have cone to pass!

In 2009 when I was diagnosed with Stage Four cancer, for awhile I did not think I had a future anymore. I was trapped for a long time in negative thinking always looking back in time regretting and wishing some of the choices that I made would have been different. But when I learned through Christ how to think victorious thoughts, I stopped living in the past and started looking again to the future. I want to encourage you today that we all do time travel. Every day you wake up is a new day and the decisions you make this morning will change your afternoon! You and I are time traveling right now...its called living!

We are all here for a purpose and what I learned and detail in my book entitled, You are Victorious!Winning in the " Sport " called Life (shameless plug), it is a waste to look backwards, when you know that God has so much in store for you in the future! The best is coming must be your faith! I believe that now and hope you do too. Don't waste a minute of a Day in doubt, regret or fear! The very fact that next year is the year that Michael J. Fox ( Marty McFly) should be showing up in his Delorean is proof that time travel happens every day! You are living in the future of yesterday in the present and today is tomorrow's past! (Hope I didn't lose you there! LOL)...The exciting thing is that you and I in Christ can make our present and future awesome! What is it that you desire to have 30 days, 30 weeks, 30 months or even 30 years from now? The decisions and actions you choose right now will determine it! I encourage you again , don't go back, go forward... your future is waiting! No Delorean required!



Dr. Charles H. Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment