Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Victorious Every Day! Do You Remember Your First Pet?




It's amazing how our childhood pets stay with us for a lifetime. Before "my dog" Smokey (our beautiful German shepherd who made the move with our family from Ohio to Philly in 1983) there was Brownie.
My Dad got us "boys" Brownie before I was even born in 1968 in Atlanta. He was part of our family in Ohio where I grew up until just before I turned 12 in 1981.


When he died my parents were out of town and I'll never forget my older brother Mike (MJ) trying to explain to me that "Brownie is gone". That was one of the saddest days of my and all of our young lives in Ohio. Early the next year, the day after the Cincinnati Bengals lost to the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl (As many of my friends and family know, I connect life’s memories around major sporting events) we got Smokey as a puppy. Smokey was mainly my responsibility (which got me ready for Cierra and Chucky many, many, years later). I had to clean up after him as well as walk, feed and otherwise care for him until I had to leave him and my parents in Philly to attend Morehouse College in 1987 (he died my Sophomore year). I still miss Brownie and Smokey ...I see them often in my dreams.

BELOW: From right to left in our family room in Columbus, Ohio in the early/mid 70s- Stephen, me looking at David, Michael and David. Between me and Dave is our beloved first dog Brownie.



My book, You are Victorious! Winning in the "Sport" called Life is now available on kindle/Amazon books and will be published by IMPACT Books in July! For more information visit DrJVictorious.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment